FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS FOR SELF STORAGE
What should you not put in self storage?
- Perishable food items.
- Flammable, explosive or dangerous materials including but not limited to gasoline, paint.
- Scented candles.
- Offensive smelling products.
How much will a 10x10 storage unit hold?
The unit is 100 sq ft, approximate contents for a 2-bedroom apartment.
How many boxes can fit in a 5x10 storage unit?
The unit is 50 square feet – approximate contents for a 1-bedroom/studio apartment.
What size storage unit do I need for a 2 bedroom house?
We recommend a 10 x 25 or 10 x 30 ft unit.
Will clothes get ruined in a storage unit?
When packed properly in a climate controlled unit, your clothes will be protected.
Will furniture go bad in a storage unit?
When stored property in a climate controlled unit, furniture will be protected.
Do storage units have outlets
No, not inside the unit.
How do you protect your things in a storage unit?
Helpful storage tips to keep your belongings safe:
- When packing, place your things in proper containers, like solid boxes and plastic bins with lids.
- Maximize your space by carefully packing clothes and bedsheets in a dresser.
- Tools or dishes should be cleaned prior to storing.
- Place boxes on pallets or skids for air circulation to improve ventilation.
How much space do I need?
Here is an idea of what you can usually store in each size.
- 5X5 – Boxes, odds and ends, small furniture
- 5X10 – Small one bedroom apartment
- 5X15 – Small two bedroom/large one bedroom apartment
- 10X10 – Average two bedroom apartment
- 10X15 – Two bedroom house/ 3 bedroom apartment
- 10X20 – Small 3 bedroom house
- 10X25 – 3 or four bedroom house
How does storage facility security work?
Security cameras are positioned throughout the facility. Security is monitored 24/7. Each unit has its own alarm and every renter is issued with a unique security code to access the facility. When they access the facility using their code only the alarm from their unit is deactivated. Alarms for all other units remain engaged. The computer system records what codes were used, what units were opened and for how long.
Are the facilities accessible all the time?
Yes, the facilities are accessible 24/7.
Are there additional or hidden fees?
No, the only cost to the renter is the cost of the unit. Renters do have the option to purchase a lock and/or storage unit insurance.
Are storage unit leases long term?
Leases run on a month-to-month basis. If the renter leaves in the middle of the month, rents are prorated to the day they vacate.
How are storage units paid for?
Storage units are paid for using cash, cheques, debit and credit cards. Pre-authorized credit card payments, post dated cheques and electronic fund transfers are convenient and ensure your payments are kept up to date.